Thursday, June 23, 2011

Community Service - Trash pick up on the Centennial Trail

When we were at Upper Columbia Conference campmeeting at UCA, our Junior Class did a community service outreach project by picking up trash. We had a one hour bus ride to the Centennial Trail next to the Spokane River. It was a lot of fun. I hope there is a Pathfinder honor for this, because boy did we pick up a lot of trash!

We picked nearly 20 bags in all. We did not just stay on the bike path, we went everywhere off the trail and in the woods so that's were we found all kinds of trash!

Here is a list of things we found;
  • pipes
  • beer bottles
  • aluminum cans
  • car parts
  • pliers
  • trash
  • and lots more cool looking stuff
After we finished that we went back on the bus.

One difference I learned about is the type of clothes to wear. When you do this you type of community service you have to wear long pants because of ticks, but in Thailand I've not seen any ticks, but instead you have to watch out for the leaches along some of the jungle walking paths!

I saw one kid wearing shorts and I saw a little tiny tick on his leg and I saw it. I told him that he had a "hitch hiker" on his leg. He saw it and flicked the tick off.

Questions for my blog readers:
  1. Are you a liter bug? Do you throw trash on the ground?
  2. How are you helping your community? Tell me your story!

No comments: